Kidlington is one of England's largest villages with a population of nearly 14,000.
Until the 20th Century, Kidlington was very much a rural community but in 1928 land along the main road through the village was sold for housing and, just prior to World War II building of the Garden City estate was started in the south of the parish.
Since 1945 many other estates have been built and today Kidlington has a modern shopping centre, library, large village hall, market and many modern dwellings. There are a good number of Pubs, cafes and restaurants in or near the village centre as well as dispersed through the village.
Kidlington also has the headquarters of the County Fire Service, the Thames Valley Police and the County St. John Ambulance Brigade.
Kidlington is well provided for by schools and community education. There are four primary schools and nurseries attached to three of these. Gosford Hill School is a large 11-18 Comprehensive and Specialist College of Mathematics and Computing. On the same campus is a thriving community education centre providing a wide range of learning and leisure programmes and courses.
Kidlington enjoys good sports facilities. As well as recreation and sports areas managed by the Parish Council and Kidlington Recreation Trust, there is a Sports Complex on the Gosford Hill School campus and a fine modern Sports Pavilion with associated pitches at Stratfield Brake.
In addition to shops and offices within the main part of the village, Kidlington has an expanding office and commercial area along the Langford Lane to the north of the village. This Langford Locks area has a thriving business community that attracts businesses from all industry sectors.
This whole area employs nearly 4000 workers. Adjacent to Oxford Airport is the Spires Business Park with occupiers varying from the likes of Elsevier to Thames Valley Police.
Opposite is Langford Business Parks and Oxford Motor Park , a huge collection of motor traders representing many of the popular car companies.
For more information about the village, see also the Kidlington Voice web-page.