Until the Enclosure Act of 1818, the southern part of the parish consisted of a large area of common land and the village was known as Kidlington-on-the Green. Many of the older houses faced onto this green. There was also a 'Town Green' running along much of the present Mill Street .
In the 1920s and 1930s Kidlington was subject to ribbon development along the main (now A4260) road through the village. Since 1945 many housing estates have been built behind this on both sides. Compared with a population of 1,300 in 1901, Kidlington and Gosford's population is now 17,500 and the village is the second largest in England .
The name Kidlington was derived from the tun (Anglo-Saxon word meaning settlement) of the Kidlings or sons of Cydel - hence Cudelinga tun. There was a Saxon settlement with a small church in 1073/4. By 1214 the spelling Kedelinton appears in a Calendar of Bodleian Charters.
The fine parish church of St Mary the Virgin dates from 1220 and is admired for its fine medieval glass and ancient woodwork. The slender spire, known as "Our Lady's Needle" is a well-loved landmark. The church was extended about 1330 by Abbot Thomas of Kidlington and again about 1450 by Abbot Thomas of Hook Norton. The spire dates from the time of the later Thomas.
If you're interested in Local History and would like to know more, please visit the Kidlington Historical Society Website.